Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I'm Going to Jackson - Jackson Town.......

Today we took Alex back to Brandon, MS to have a re-evaluation done for his dyslexia.  On the way down we found a new road across at Carthage/Canton.  Canton is the new home of Nissan in Mississippi and seems to be building back up in some areas.  

Alex didn't notice the new road:


Downtown Canton was beautiful today and I wanted to take many more pictures but we were on a schedule.


The window was a bit dirty for picture taking anyway......lol

We made it to Magnolia Speech School is great time and could stretch a bit before Alex got started with Mrs. James.  We had not been back since Alex was first diagnosed and I am amazed at the work they do at this school helping all types of students!

Alex got a decent report.  He has progressed in most areas.  Spelling is still a challenge and probably will always be impossible for him.  The evaluation reinforced my feelings about his capabilities.  I was a bit saddened that although he has gotten better in most areas, he still is behind his peers in all areas.  His reading was the most improved!

This has shown is his desire to read and listen to any books he can get his hands on.  He has decided to take over my nookcolor and my mp3 player.  This was his view most of they way home:


And as always, I had the best chauffeur in Mississippi! :)  Poor guy went with me this morning and then has to work tonight.  I hope it is a slow night for them!


We are fighting hard to help Alex be successful and content in his abilities.  Some days are harder than others.  Knowing we are not alone helps in this.  One of my favorite quotes if from Charles Schwab:

... "That's the real problem with kids who struggle with learning ... Some kids feel like they're stupid. I want them to know that they're not. They just learn differently. Once they understand that and have the tools to learn in their individual way, then they can feel good about themselves." 



2 comments:

  1. Love this entry. Love seeing your guys too! We can we see you again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish it was soon! Terry actually was wanting to take the cougar out last week...lol.

    ReplyDelete